Michael G. Wagger
Department of Soil Science
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7619
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7619
Office Phone: 919.513.1041
Specialty: Soil Management
The overall research focus concerns the long-term consequences of tillage practices and cropping systems on soil chemical, physical, and biological properties and their relationship to crop growth and development. Research efforts have emphasized a multi-disciplinary approach in order to assess some of the inherent soil-plant-water relationships associated with these systems.
Current research areas include nutrient cycling in cover crop based production systems; soil quality indices as influenced by tillage/cropping system; and nutrient dynamics in organic production.
Extension - Bulletins
Research - Refereed Journals
- G. Soto, P. Luna-Orea, M. G. Wagger, T. J. Smyth, and A. Alvarado. 2005. Foliage residue decomposition and nutrient release in peach palm (Bactris gasipaes Kunth) plantations for heart-of-palm production in Costa Rica. Agron. J. 97:1396-1402.
- Zhang, W., J. Wu, C. Tu, H. G. Diab, F. J. Louws, J. P. Mueller, N. G. Creamer, M. Bell, M. G. Wagger, and S. Hu. 2005. Responses of soil microbial community structure and diversity to agricultural deintensification. Pedosphere 15:440-447.
- Njunie, M.N., and M.G. Wagger. 2004. Use of herbaceous legumes for improving soil fertility and crop yield in maize/cassava cropping systems. E. Afr. Agric. For. J. 69(1):49-61.
- Njunie, M.N., M.G. Wagger, and P. Luna-Orea. 2004. Residue decomposition and nutrient release dynamics from two tropical forage legumes in a Kenyan environment. Agron. J. 96: 1073-1081.
- Soto, G., P. Luna, M. Wagger, T. Smyth, and A. Alvarado. 2003. Descompsicion de resduos de cosecha y liberacion de nutrimentos en plantaciones de palmito en Costa Rica. Agronimia Costarricense 26(2):43-51.
- Mueller, J.P., M.E. Barbercheck, M. Bell, C. Brownie, N.G. Creamer, A. Hitt, S. Hu, L. King, H.M. Linker, F.J. Louws, C.W. Raczkowski, D. Susko, and M.G. Wagger. 2002. Development and implementation of a long-term agricultural systems study:Challenges and opportunities. Hort. Tech. 12(3):362-368.
- Glasener, K. M., M. G. Wagger, C. T. MacKown, and R. J. Volk. 1998. Nitrogen-15 labeling effectiveness of two tropical legumes. Plant and soil 200: 149-156.
- Wagger, M. G., M. L. Cabrera, and N. N. Ranells. 1998. Nitrogen and carbon cycling in relation to cover crop resource quality. J. Soil and Water Cons. 53(3):214-218.
- Ranells, N. N., and M.G. Wagger. 1997. Nitrogen-15 recovery and release by rye and crimson clover cover crops. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 61: 943-948.
- Ranells, N.N., and M.G. Wagger, 1997. Grass-legume bicultures as winter annual cover crops. Agron. J. 89: 659-665.
- Luna-Orea, P., and M. G. Wagger. 1996. Management of tropical legume cover crops in the Bolivian Amazon to sustain crop yields and soil productivity. Agron. J. 88: 765-776.
- Luna-Orea, P., M. G. Wagger, and M. L. Gumpertz. 1996. Decomposition and nutrient release dynamics of two tropical legume cover crops. Agron. J. 88:758-764.
- Ranells, N. N., and M. G. Wagger. 1996. Nitrogen release from grass/legume cover crop monocultures and bicultures. Agron. J. 88:777-782.
- Vepraskas, M. J., and M. G. Wagger. 1990. Corn root distribution and yield response to subsoiling for Paleudults having different aggregate sizes. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 54:849-854.