Department of Soil Science
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7619
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7619
Office Phone: 919.515.2040
Click Here For Related Web Pages
Specialty: Soil and Environmental Hydrogeochemistry
The overarching goal of our research program is to help better predict, manage and respond to environmental contaminants that threaten human health. Contaminant distributions in soils, sediments and natural waters are controlled by a host of physical, chemical and biological processes, each of which can exert its influence over a range of spatial and temporal scales. In our research, we integrate a suite of field, laboratory and spectroscopic approaches to better understand the sources, fate and transport of contaminants in the environment. Research themes include 1) aquifer vulnerability to contamination; 2) agricultural impacts on trace-element distributions in soils, surface water and groundwater; and 3) water quality and sanitation in low-income countries.
Research - Referred Journals
- Guinness, J., Fuentes, M., Hesterberg, D., and Polizzotto, M. (2014) Multivariate spatial modeling of conditional dependence in microscale soil elemental composition data. Spatial Statistics. In press.
- Neumann, RB., Pracht, LE., Polizzotto, ML., Badruzzaman, ABM., and Ali, MA. (2014) Biodegradable organic carbon in sediments of an arsenic-contaminated aquifer in Bangladesh. Environmental Science & Technology Letters. In press.
- Matteson, AR., Mahoney, DJ., Gannon, TW., and Polizzotto, ML. (2014) Integrated field lysimetry and porewater sampling for evaluation of chemical mobility in soils and established vegetation. Journal of Visualized Experiments. In press.
- Duckworth, OW., Heitman, JL., and Polizzotto, ML. (2014) Soil water: from molecular structure to behavior. Nature Education. In press.
- Matteson, AR., Gannon, TW., Jeffries, MD., Haines, S., Lewis, DF., and Polizzotto, ML. (2014) Arsenic retention in foliage and soil following monosodium methyl arsenate (MSMA) application to turfgrass. Journal of Environmental Quality 43, 379-388.
- Lineberger, EM., Badruzzaman, ABM., Ali, MA., and Polizzotto, ML. (2013) Arsenic removal from flowing irrigation water in Bangladesh: impacts of channel properties. Journal of Environmental Quality 42, 1733-1742.
- Polizzotto, ML., Lineberger, EM., Matteson, AR., Neumann, RB., Badruzzaman, ABM., and Ali, MA. (2013) Arsenic transport in irrigation water across rice-field soils in Bangladesh. Environmental Pollution 179, 210-217.
- Graham, JP. and Polizzotto, ML. (2013) Pit latrines and their impacts on groundwater quality: a systematic review. Environmental Health Perspectives 121, 521-530.
- Onstott, TC., Chan, E., Polizzotto, M., and Deflaun, MF. (2011) Precipitation of arsenic under sulfate reducing conditions and subsequent leaching under aerobic conditions. Applied Geochemistry 26, 269-285.
- Polya, DA., Polizzotto, ML., Fendorf, S., Rodriguez-Lado, L., Hegan, A., Lawson, M., Rowland, HAL., Giri, AK., Mondal, D., Sovann, C., Al Lawati, WMM., and Dongen, BE., Gilbert, P., and Shantz, A. (2010) Arsenic in groundwaters of Cambodia. In Irvine, K., Murphy, T., Vanchan, V., and Vermette, S. (eds.) âWater Resources and Development in Southeast Asiaâ. SE Asia Center, NY.
- Mailloux, B., Alexandrova, E., Keimowitz, A., Wovkulich, K., Freyer, G., Herron, M., Stolz, J., Kenna, T., Pichler, T., Polizzotto, M., Dong, H., Bishop, M., and Knappett, P. (2009) Microbial mineral weathering for nutrient acquisition releases arsenic. Applied Environmental Microbiology 75, 2558-2565.
- Neumann, RB., Polizzotto, ML., Badruzzaman, ABM., Ali, MA., Zhang, Z., and Harvey, CF. (2009) The hydrology of a groundwater-irrigated rice field in Bangladesh: patterns of infiltration and an opportunity to reduce irrigation loss. Water Resources Research 45, W09412, doi:10.1029/2008WR007542.
- Benner, SG., Polizzotto, ML., Kocar, BD., Ganguly, S., Phan, K., Ouch, K., Sampson, M., and Fendorf, S. (2008) Groundwater flow in an arsenic-contaminated aquifer, Mekong Delta, Cambodia. Applied Geochemistry 23, 3072-3087
- Kocar, BD., Polizzotto, ML., Benner, SG., Ying, S., Ung, M., Ouch, K., Samreth, S., Suy, B., Phan, K., Sampson, M., and Fendorf, S. (2008) Integrated biogeochemical and hydrologic processes driving arsenic release from shallow sediments to groundwaters of the Mekong Delta. Applied Geochemistry 23, 3059-3071.
- Polizzotto, ML., Kocar, BD., Benner, SG., Sampson, M., and Fendorf, S. (2008) Near-surface wetland sediments as a source of arsenic release to ground water in Asia. Nature 454, 505-508.
- Toevs, G., Morra, MJ., Winowiecki, L., Strawn, D., Polizzotto, ML., and Fendorf, S. (2008) Depositional influences on porewater arsenic insediments of a mining-contaminated freshwater lake. Environmental Science and Technology 42, 6823-6829.
- Polizzotto, ML., Harvey, CF., Li, G., Badruzzman, B., Ali, A., Newville, M., Sutton, S., and Fendorf, S. (2006) Solid-phases and desorption processes of arsenic within Bangladesh sediments. Chemical Geology 228, 97-111.
- Toevs, GR., Morra, MJ., Polizzotto, ML., Strawn, DG., Bostick, BC., and Fendorf, S. (2006) Metal(loid) diagenesis in mine-impacted sediments of Lake Coeur dâAlene, Idaho. Environmental Science and Technology 40, 2537-2543.
- Polizzotto, ML., Harvey, CF., Sutton, SR., and Fendorf, S. (2005) Processes conducive to the release and transport of arsenic into aquifers of Bangladesh. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 102, 18819-18823.
- Sharma, M., Polizzotto, M., and Anbar, AD. (2001) Iron isotopes in hot springs along the Juan de Fuca Ridge. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 194, 39-51.