David L. Lindbo
Department of Soil Science
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7619
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7619
Office Phone: 919.515.2643
Specialty: Soil-Environment Relations
Research and extension programs focus on non-agricultural land use and management of soils throughout North Carolina. Primary interest involves correlating soil morphologic and physical properties to environmental conditions. The anticipated results are the development of procedures and criteria for site characterization and identification of soil properties related to treatment and disposal of domestic wastewater, hydric soil identification, and water quality improvement. The research in these areas involves investigation of BMPs for soil/site evaluation (soil morphology), evaluation of innovative on-site wastewater systems, and analysis of septic system performance. All these areas involve a whole soil/environmental approach to research. Extension efforts involve management of 3 On-site wastewater training facilities (Plymouth http://plymouth.ces.state.nc.us/septic/jmscntr.html , Bolivia http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/onslow/staff/drashash/enved/sepdem.html , Fletcher http://plymouth.ces.state.nc.us/septic2/fletcher.html ) and instruction for the Soil on Onsite wastewater Training Academy. Additional interests include soil and landscape relations.
- SoilFacts: Why do Septic Systems Fail?
- SoilFacts: Septic systems and the environment.
- F. E. Rhoton, J. M. Bigham, and D. L. Lindbo. 2002. Properties of iron oxides in streams draining the loess uplands of Mississippi. Applied Geochemistry 17:409-419.
- Lindbo, D. L. and V. L. MacConnell. 2001. Evaluation of a Peat Biofilter Treatment System In K. Mancl (ed.) On-Site Wastewater Treatment. Proceedings of the Ninth National Symposium on Individual and Small Community Sewage Systems. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI
- Lindbo, D.L., M.J. Vepraskas, and F.E. Rhoton. 2001. A field method for determining percent coated sand grains. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 65:949-953.
- Lindbo, D. L., and J. L. Richardson, 2000. Hydric soils and wetlands in riverine systems. In J. L. Richardson and M. J. Vepraskas (eds.). Wetland Soils: their Genesis, Morphology, Hydrology, Landscape, and Classification. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. Ch. 12.
- Lindbo, D.L., F.E. Rhoton, J.M. Bigham, N.E. Smeck, W.H. Hudnall, and D.D. Tyler. 2000. Fragipan Degradation and Nodule Formation in Glossic Fragiudalfs of the Lower Mississippi River Valley. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 64:1713-1722.
- Lindbo, D. L., T. M. Campbell, N. Deal, and R. Hollowell. 1998. Performance of sand lined trench and conventional systems within a management entity. In D. M. Sievers (ed.) On-Site Wastewater Treatment. Proceedings of the Eighth National Symposium on Individual and Small Community Sewage Systems. March 8-10, 1989, Orlando, FL. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI p. 177-185.
- Rhoton, F.E., Lindbo, D.L., and M. Romkens. 1998. Iron oxide-erodibility relationships for soils of the Memphis Catena. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 62:1693-1704.
- Veneman, P.L.M., D.L. Lindbo, and L.A. Spokas. 1998. Redoximorphic features and hydrology: A review. In M. C. Rabenhorst, J. C. Bell, and P. A. McDaniel (eds.) Quantifying Soil Hydromorphology. SSSA Spec. Pub. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA, Madison, WI p.1-24.
- Lindbo, D. L. 1997. Entisols-Fluvents and Fluvaquents: Problems recognizing aquic and hydric conditions in young, flood plain soils. (in press). In M. J. Vepraskas and S. W. Sprecher (eds.) Aquic Conditions and Hydric Soils: The Problem Soils. Special Pub. Soil Sci. Soc. Am., Madison, WI.
- Lindbo, D. L., F. E. Rhoton, W. H. Hudnall, N. E. Smeck, and J. M. Bigham. 1997. Loess stratigraphy and fragipan occurrence in uplands of the lower Mississippi River Valley. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 61:195-210.
- Lindbo, D. L., M. C. Rabenhorst, and F. E. Rhoton. 1997. Qualifying hydric soil indicators with soil color. (in press). In J. C. Bell and P. A. McDaniel (eds) Quantifying Soil Hydromorphology. Special Pub. Soil Sci. Soc. Am., Madison, WI.
- Lindbo, D. L., and F.E. Rhoton. 1996. Slaking in fragipan and argillic horizons. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 60:552-554.
- Rhoton, F. E., D. D. Tyler, and D. L. Lindbo. 1996. Fragipan soils in the lower Mississippi River Valley: Their distribution, characteristics, irritability, productivity and management. U. S. Dept. Agri., ARS-137.
- Lindbo, D. L., F. E. Rhoton, J. M. Bigham, F. S. Jones, N. E. Smeck, W. H. Hudnall, and D. D. Tyler. 1995. Loess toposequences in the lower Mississippi River Valley I: Fragipan morphology and identification. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 59:487-500.
Peer Reviewed Proceedings
- Williams, J. P., D. L. Lindbo, and M. J. Vepraskas. 2001. A Suggested Water Table Monitoring Method Based on Soil Color Patterns. In K. Mancl (ed.) On-Site Wastewater Treatment. Proceedings of the Ninth National Symposium on Individual and Small Community Sewage Systems. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI