Department of Soil Science
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7619
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7619
Office Phone: 919.515.3967
Specialty: Environmental Soil Physics
Research interests are (i) movement of water and pollutants from municipal and industrial wastes through soils and their underlying strata and (ii) characterization of soil materials for waste disposal purposes. Research programs include assessment of soil water and pollutant movement from on-site wastewater disposal systems, evaluation of the effects of macropores on water and solute flow in soils and saprolites, evaluation of the effects of waste disposal on soil hydraulic properties, and development of techniques for determination of soil physical properties as related to waste management practices. Special attention is devoted to on-site management of household wastewater.
Publications - Research
Books or Book Chapters
- Amoozegar, A. 2004. Soil permeability and dispersion analysis. p. 625-677. In R. D. Down and J. H. Lehr (ed.). Environmental Instrumentation and Analysis Handbook. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Amoozegar, A. 2002. Saturated and Field-Saturated Flow Parameters -- Auger-Hole Method and Piezometer Method (Saturated Zone), p. 859-878, Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 4, Physical Methods. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI.
- Amoozegar, A., and G. V. Wilson. 1999. Methods for measuring hydraulic conductivity and drainable porosity. p. 1149-1205. In R. W. Skaggs and J. van Schilfgaarde (ed.) Agricultural Drainage. Monograph No. 38, ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Kang, J., A. Amoozegar, D.L. Hesterberg, and D.L. Osmond. 2011. Phosphorus Leaching In Sandy Soils as Affected by Organic and Inorganic Fertilizer Sources. Geoderma 161:194â€“201.
- Grimes, B. H., S. Steinbeck, and A. Amoozegar. 2003. Analysis of tire chips as a substitute for stone aggregates in nitrification trenches of onsite septic systems: Status and notes on comparative macrobiology of tire chip versus stone aggregates trenches. Small Flows Quarterly, National Small Flows Clearinghouse. 4:18-23.
- Buol, S. W., A. Amoozegar, and M. J. Vepraskas. 2000. Physical, chemical, and morphological properties of some regolith in North Carolina. Southeastern Geology 39:151-160.
- Amoozegar, A. 1998. Impact of wastewater quality on the long-term acceptance rate of soils for on-site wastewater disposal systems. Water Resource Research Institute, WRRI, Raleigh, NC. Report No. 316.
- Amoozegar, A., and K. C. Martin. 1997. Mounding analysis in the vadose zone for designing large septic systems. In M. S. Bedinger, A. I. Johnson, and J. S. Fleming (eds.) Site characterization and design of on-site septic systems. American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Kretzschmar, R., W. P. Robarge, A. Amoozegar, and M. J. Vepraskas. 1997. Biotite alteration to halloysite and kaolinite in soil-saprolite profiles developed from mica schist and granite gneiss. Geoderma 75:155-170.
- Kretzschmar, R., W. P. Robarge, and A. Amoozegar. 1995. Influence of natural organic matter on colloid transport through saprolite. Water Resources Research 31:435-445.
- Schoeneberger, P.J., A. Amoozegar, and S.W. Buol. 1995. Variation of physical properties of a soil and saprolite continuum at three geomorphic positions. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 59:1389-1397.
- Amoozegar, A. 1992. Compact constant head permeameter: A convenient device for measuring hydraulic conductivity. pp. 31-42. In Topp et al. (ed.) Advances in measurement of soil physical properties: Bringing theory into practice. Special Publication No. 30, Soil Sci. Soc. Am., Madison, WI.
Peer Reviewed Proceedings
- Amoozegar, A., S. Warren, C. Niewoehner, W. Robarge, M. Hoover, D. Hesterberg, and R. Rubin. 2004. Effect of graywater on soil hydraulic properties. p. 231-240 In K. R. Mankin (ed.) Proc. of the 10th National Symp. on Individual and Small Community Sewage Systems. Am. Soc. Agric. Am. Soc. Agric. Engr., St. Joseph, MI.
- Morey, A. E., and A. Amoozegar. 2004. Use of septic systems in sandy soils with a shallow water table. p. 419-431. In K. R. Mankin (ed.) Proc. of the 10th National Symp. on Individual and Small Community Sewage Systems. Am. Soc. Agric. Am. Soc. Agric. Engr., St. Joseph, MI.
- Warren, S. L., A. Amoozegar, W. P. Robarge, C. P. Niewoehner, W. M. Reece. 2004. Effect of graywater on growth and appearance of ornamental landscape plants. p. 647-654. In K. R. Mankin (ed.) Proc. of the 10th National Symp. on Individual and Small Community Sewage Systems. Am. Soc. Agric. Am. Soc. Agric. Engr., St. Joseph, MI.
- Guertal, W. R., M. J. Vepraskas, A. Amoozegar, and H. J. Kleiss. 1991. Identification of hydraulically active and inactive macropores in soil-saprolite sequences. Agron. Abstracts 312.
- Hoover, M. T., A. Amoozegar, H. J. Kleiss, and W. R. Guertal. 1991. Morphology and soil water relationships of solum-saprolite sequences. Agron. Abstracts 313.