Larry D. King
Department of Soil Science
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7619
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7619
Room: c/o SSC
Specialty: Sustainable Agriculture
Research focuses on comparison of cropping systems that are managed conventionally with those managed with reduced chemical inputs. Specific topics under investigation include: (i) nitrogen cycling based on nitrogen budgets, 15N tracer studies, and denitrification); (ii) phosphorus cycling based on phosphorus budgets, pools of phosphorus in the soil, and dynamics of phosphorus in soils with very low phosphorus content; (iii) no-till cultivation with minimal use of herbicides; (iv) development of equipment for cultivating in very high residue situations; and (v) allelopathic effects of winter cover crops.
- King, L.D., H.J. Kleiss and J.A. Thompson. 2004. SSC 200 Soil Science Laboratory Manual. Tavenner Publishing Company, Anderson, South Carolina. 221 p.
- King, L.D. and H.J. Kleiss. Soil Science Laboratory Manual. Tavern Publishing Company, Anderson, S.C. (200p)
- King, L. D., 1999. Soil and environmental management. Tavenner Publishing Co., Anderson, SC. (Textbook)
- C.R. Crozier, L.D. King, R.L. Mikkelsen, and R. Weisz. 1998. Fertilizer & Lime Management for Small Grains. Part II: Lime, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sulfur, Manganese, Copper, Magnesium, and Calcium. pp. 19-23 in: Small Grain Production Guide 1998. N.C. Coop. Ext. Service, AG-580, Raleigh, NC.
- Crozier, C. R., L. D. King, R. J. Volk. 1998. Tracing N movement in corn production systems in the North Carolina Piedmont: a nitrogen-15 study. Agron. J. 90:171-177.
- King, L. D. and D. Hoag. 1998. Reduced chemical input cropping systems in the southeastern United States: III Economic analysis. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 13: 12-27.
- Stolf, R., D. K. Cassel, L. D. King, and K Reichardt. 1998. Measuring mechanical impedance in clayey gravelly soils. Revista Brasileira de Ciencia do Solo. (Brazilian J. Soil Sci.) 22:189-196.
- Blum, U., L. D. King, T. M. Gerig, M. E. Lehman, and A. D. Worsham. 1997. Effects of clover and small grain cover crops and cultivation techniques on seedling emergence of some dicotyledonous weed species. Am. J. Altern. Agri. 12: 146-161.
- Miner, G. S., R. Gutierrez, and L. D. King. 1997. Predicting Cd, Cu, and Zn concentrations in Swiss chard, lettuce, tobacco, and peanut. J. Environ. Qual. 26: 989-994.
- Miner, G. S., R. Gutierrez, and L. D. King. 1997. Soil factors affecting plant concentrations of cadmium, copper, and zinc in sludge-amended soils. J. Environ. Qual. 26:989-994.
- Nelson, J. B., and L. D. King. 1997. Green manure as a nitrogen source for wheat in the southeastern United States. Am. J. Altern. Agri. 11: 182-189.
- Brust, G. E., and L. D. King. 1994. Effect of crop rotation and reduced chemical inputs on pests and predators in maize agroecosystems. Agri. Ecosys. Environ. 48: 77-89.
- Crozier, C.R., and L.D. King. 1993. Corn root dry matter and nitrogen distribution as determined by sampling multiple soil cores around individual plants. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 24: 1127-1138.