Fred R. Cox
Department of Soil Science
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7619
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7619
Office Phone: 919.513.2557
Specialty: Soil Fertility
Research program involves the use of soil tests to protect the environment and achieve more economic crop production. The effect of fertilization with both inorganic and organic materials on the soil concentration of both macro- and micronutrients with time is determined. Differences noted in these effects are related to other soil properties, with the final objective of having neither a deficiency nor a toxicity of a nutrient in the soil system. The research is primarily field-oriented, with preliminary greenhouse work, and related to both soil and plant analyses conducted in the laboratory. The results are modeled to systems, with that on phosphorus in the tropics going into an expert system, or decision support system. Attention is given to maintaining water quality, yet achieving efficient disposal of waste materials that have nutrient value.
- Cox, F.R. and J.S. Barnes. Peanut, corn, and cotton critical levels for phosphorus and potassium on Goldsboro soil. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 33:1173-1186.
- Borkert, C.M. and F.R. Cox. Effects of acidity at high soil zinc, copper, and manganese on peanut, rice, and soybean. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 30:1371-1384.
- Aquino, B.F., L.F. Sobral and F.R. Cox. Properties of Ultisols and Oxisols related to Mehlich-3 phosphorus buffer coefficients. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 29:1155-1166.
- Borkert, C.M. and F.R. Cox. Zinc and copper toxicity in peanut, soybean, rice, and corn in soil mixtures. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 29:2991-3005.
- Fontes, R.L.F. and F.R. Cox. Iron deficiency and zinc toxicity in soybean grown in nutrient solution with different levels of sulfur. J. Plant Nutrition 21:1715-1722.
- Fontes, R.L.F. and F.R. Cox. Zinc toxicity in soybean grown at high iron concentration in nutrient solution. J. Plant Nutrition 21:1723-1730.
- Cox, F. R. 1996. Economic phosphorus fertilization using a linear response and plateau function. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 27:531-543.
- Cox, F. R. 1994. Current Phosphorus Availability Indices: Characteristics and shortcomings. pp. 101-113. In J. L. Havlin and J. S. Jacobsen (eds.) Soil Testing: Prospects for Improving Pecommendations. Special Pub. No. 40. Soil Sci. Soc. Am., Madison, WI.
- Cox, F. R. 1994. Predicting increases in extractable phosphorus from fertilizing soils of varying clay content. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 58:1249-1253.
- Cox, F. R. 1992. Range in soil phosphorus critical levels with time. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 56:1504-1509.