Department of Soil Science
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7619
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7619
Office Phone: 919.515.1457
Specialty: Soil Physics
Retired March 1, 2006. Currently summarizing long term deep tillage research. Past research dealt with practical soil physics problems dealing with tillage and irrigation practices to optimize water management, sustain agricultural production, and reduce environmental degradation. Temporal and spatial changes in soil properties and the movement of selected chemicals in soils as related to precision agriculture are included. Many of these management systems, crop production, and associated physical processes, such as water and solute transport in and through soils, were studied as functions of landscape position using both conventional and spatial statistical procedures. An international research component involved the study of soil degradation and reclamation of degraded soils on steeplands in the humid tropics of Central America. This research involved water management, water and tillage erosion and its control, and nutrient leaching.
- Hong. N., J.G. White, R. Weisz, M.L. Gumpertz, M.G. Duffera, and D.K. Cassel. 2007. Groundwater nitrate spatial and temporal patterns and correlations: Influence of natural controls and nitrogen management. Vadose Zone Journal 6:5366.
- Grace, J. M. III, R. W. Skaggs, and D. K. Cassel. 2006. Soil physical changes associated with forest harvesting operations on an organic soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. J. 70:503-509.
- Hong, N., J.G. White, R. Weisz, C.R. Crozier, M.L. Gumpertz, and D.K. Cassel. 2006, Remote sensing-informed variable-rate nitrogen management of wheat and corn: agronomic and groundwater outcomes. Agron. J. 98:327-338.
- 0.Cassel, D. K., and B. B. Thapa. 2005. Water Cycle. In Hillel, Dan. Encyclopedia of Soils in the Environment. pp Elsevier.
- 0.Cassel, D. K., and E. C. Edwards. 2003. Scaling soil mechanical properties to predict plant responses. In Pachepsky, Y., D. E. Radcliffe, and H. M. Selim. Scaling Methods in Soil Physics. pp279-284.
- 0.Letey, John, R. E. Sojka, D. R. Upchurch, D. K. Cassel, Ken R. Olson, William A. Payne, Steve E. Petrie, Graham H. Price, R. J. Reginato, H. Don Scott, Philip J. Smethurst, and Glover B. Triplett. 2003. Deficiencies in the soil quality concept and its application. J. Soil. Water Conserv.58(4):180-187.
- Cassel, D. K., M. M. Afyuni, and W. P. Robarge. 2002. Manganese distribution and patterns of soil wetting and depletion in a Piedmont landscape. Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. J. 66: 939-947.
- 0.Thapa, B. B., D. K. Cassel, and D. P. Garrity. 2001. Tillage-induced erosion in the humid tropics: rates, effects on soil properties, and approaches to reduce it. In: Stott, D. E., r. H. Mohtar, and G. C. Steinhardt. Sustaining the Global Farm. Pp 777-783.
- Bigelow, C.A., D.C. Bowman and D. K. Cassel. 2001. Nitrogen leaching in sand-based rootzones amended with inorganic soil amendments and sphagnum peat moss., J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 126:151-156.
- Strock, J. S. D. K. Cassel and M. L. Gumpertz. 2001. Spatial variability of water and bromide transport through variably Saturated soil blocks. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 65(6):1607 -1617.
- Cassel, D.K., O.Wendroth, and D.R.Nielsen. 2000. Assessing a renovated agricultural research station for future experimentation, Agron . J. 92:98-105.
- Horowitz, A.J., D.K.Cassel, and M.J.Lopez. 1999. Soil physical properties under continuous corn and a mucuna rotation on hillsides in Honduras. Trop. Agric. (Trinidad). 76(3):164-170.7.
- Olson, G.L., and D.K.Cassel. 1999. Bromide leaching on a Piedmont landscape. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 63:1319-1326.
- Thapa, B.B., D.K.Cassel, and D.P.Garrity. 1999. Ridge tillage and contour natural grass barrier strips reduce tillage erosion. Soil and Tillage Res. 51:233-243.
- Agus, F., D. K. Cassel, and D. P. Garrity. 1998. Bromide transport under contour hedgerow systems in sloping Oxisols. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 62:1042-1048.
- Przepiora, A.D., Hesterberg, J.E. Parson, J.W. Gilliam, D.K. Cassel, and W. Faircloth. 1998. Field evaluation of calcium sulfate as a chemical flocculant for sedimentation basins. Journal of Environmental Quality 27:669-678.
- Stolf, R., D. K. Cassel, L. D. King, and K Reichardt. 1998. Measuring mechanical impedance in clayey gravelly soils. Revista Brasileira de Ciencia do Solo. (Brazilian J. Soil Sci.) 22:189-196.
- Agus, F., D. K. Cassel, and D. P. Garrity. 1997. Soil-water and soil physical properties under contour hedgerow systems on sloping Oxisols. Soil Tillage Res. 40:185-199.
- Przepiora, A., D. Hesterberg, J.E. Parsons, J.W. Gilliam, D.K. Cassel, and W. Faircloth. 1997. Calcium sulfate as a flocculant to reduce turbidity of sedimentation basin water. Journal of Environmental Quality 26:1605-1611.