Department of Soil Science
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7619
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7619
Office Phone: 919.513.0255
Specialty: Geographic Information Specialist
My work is directed toward geomatics and the application of related technologies in soils, agriculture, and the environment. I largely support faculty, staff, and students in the use of geospatial information and analytics.
Current program emphasis is directed toward (i) the use and application of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in early-season nitrogen management and crop scouting, (ii) the optimization of commercial nitrogen inputs through on-farm, multiple rate strip trials, and (iii) the spatial characterization of heavy metals on agriculture land resulting from the 2014 Dan River coal ash spill.
Other technology and programming interests include: web-based distribution of spatial data (RESTful APIs, leaflet, GeoServer, PostgreSQL PostGIS), open-source spatial solutions (GDAL/OGR), mobile application development, spatial analytics (R), and the development of tools and services for use in agriculture and farm management
- Austin, R.E., White, J., Tailoring a GIS Course for Real-World Demand. SSC440: GIS in Soil and Land Management, Soil Science Society of North Carolina 2008 Annuanl Meeting, Raleigh, NC, Poster presentation.
- Potential Nitrogen Contributions from On-site Wastewater Treatment Systems to North Carolinas River Basins and Sub-Basins
- Austin, R., North Carolina Hops Production, Oral Presentation to the Surry County Community College Viticulture Program, Dec 6, 2010, Raleigh NC.
- Austin, R., King, S., Davis, J., Burrack, H., North Carolina Hops Project: Improving Market Opportunities for North Carolina with Locally Grown Hops, Poster, Grower Sponsored Field Day, July 31, 2010, Asheville, NC.
Publications - Refereed Journals
- Vepraskas, M.J., J.L. Heitman, and R.E. Austin. 2009. Future Directions for Hydropedology: Quantifying Impacts of Global Change on Land Use. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 13:1427-1438.
- Anderson, E.S., J.A. Thompson, D.A. Crouse, and R.E. Austin. 2006. Horizontal resolution and data density effects on remotely sensed LIDAR-based DEM. Geoderma, 132, 406-415.
- Anderson, E., Austin. R., Thompson, J., LiDAR Data Density and Linear Interpolator Influence On Elevation Prediction Estimates, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, in review.
- Anderson, E., Austin. R., Thompson, J., Crouse, D., Compilation and Error Analysis of a LiDAR-based Digital Elevation Model for the Hofmann Forest, American Society of Agronomy Poster, Denver, Colorado, Nov. 2 - 6, 2003.
- Austin, R., The Spatial Information Research Laboratory at North Carolina State University, Presentation, Soils Science Seminar, December 3, 2003.
- Thompson, J., Austin. R., Terrain Analysis at Multiple Scales: Effects on Terrain Attribute Calculation and Soil-Landscape, American Society of Agronomy Poster, Denver, Colorado, Nov. 2 - 6, 2003.
Publications - Peer Reviewed Proceedings
- R.E. Austin, D.A. Crouse, J.L. Havlin, and S.C. Hodges, THE SPATIAL INFORMATION RESEARCH LABORATORY AT NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY, Precision Agricultural Proceedings of the 7 International Conference, July 2000.
- Austin, R. North Carolina Hops Production, 54th Annual Soil Science Society of North Carolina Meeting, Oral Presentation, January 18-19, 2011, Raleigh NC.
- Austin,R.,Osmond,D., Neas,K.,Developing an unbiased agriculture sampling protocol for protection of water quality in High Rock Lake., Poster, 2012 Soil Science Society of North Carolina Annual Meeting. Raleigh, NC.
- Meijer, A., Austin R., White, J., Heitman, J., Walters, Howard, A., Mitasova, H., Quantifying Erosion and Deposition in Tillage Plots Using Ground-based Lidar Scanningâ€. Annual ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Meetings. San Antonio, TX. November, 2011.
- Robarge W., Austin, R., Walker J., Combining Passive Samplers and a Bi-Directional Exchange Model to Calculate Ammonia (NH3) Dry Deposition, Poster Presentation, National Atmospheric Deposition, Program, Oct. 25-28, 2011.
- Austin, R.E, Walker, J, Robarge, R., Kimbrough, S., Spatial Modeling of Agricultural Ammonia Emissions and Surface-Air Exchange in North Carolina Coastal Watersheds, Water Resource Research Institute (WRRI) Annual Conference in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, October 2008, Poster presentation.
- Walker, J., Robarge, W., Austin. R., Kimbrough, S., GIS Modeling of Agricultural Ammonia Emissions and Ammonia Air-Surface Exchange in North Carolina Coastal Watersheds, 16th Annual International Emission Inventory Conference Emission Inventories: "Integration, Analysis, and Communications", Raleigh, May 14 - 17, 2007.
- Pradham, Austin, Hoover, Using Geographic Information Systems to Estimate Nitrogen Loads in Costal Plain Watersheds. Soil Science Society of North Carolina poster presentation.